- Before you start
- Contact List Management
- Create a Contact List
- Change a Contact List Name
- Duplicate a Contact List
- Delete a Contact List
- Export/Download a Contact List
- Subscriber Management
- Add new contacts to a list
- Remove/Unsubscribe contacts from a list
- One contact from many lists
- One or more contacts from one list (manually)
- Many contacts from one list (via file upload)
- Correct/Edit an email address
- View all your contacts
- Contact Properties
- Managing Unsubscribes
- Managing Bounced and Blocked Emails
- Related Reading
Before you start
The foundation of successful campaigns begins with the right list of contacts. Before you create your first list, please take a few minutes to review the following:
- Mailjet is a permission-based service.
This means no 3rd party lists, no web-scraping, no borrowing or using outside lists. Ever.
- All subscribers need to opt-in into your lists.
A double opt-in is the only way to make sure that your subscribers really want to receive emails from you. The process is simple: subscribers register on your website, using your own form or our subscription widget, and the immediately get an email asking them to confirm their subscription. That way, you are sure that your subscribers actually registered with their own address.
- Keep lists updated and active.
Permissions can go stale after a few months and sending to an old inactive list may cause spam complaints. Clean your lists on regularly to keep only active and engaged subscribers.
- Remove role addresses.
Role addresses are usually group based and not used for marketing emails.
- Plan your Custom Contact Properties.
If you will be importing contact information (first name, city,...) to send personalized emails, take a moment to create your contact properties.
Want to learn more? Just read our Sending Policy.
Contact List Management
Create your lists, import your contact information, define custom values… You will learn everything you need to know to easily manage your recipient lists with Mailjet!
Create a Contact List
To create a new list on your Mailjet account, go to your Contacts page, then click on the Create a new list button.
There are two ways to add contacts to your list:
- Get new subscribers by linking the contact list to a subscription widget;
- Copy/upload your existing subscribers to the list directly.
Let’s walk through creating a contact list by pasting in existing subscriber information. Enter the contact list name and click on ‘Paste contacts or upload a file’.
You can either paste your subscriber information into the form, or upload a CSV, TXT, or RFT file.
Check the ‘I certify that:’ checkbox, then click the ‘Save & Continue’ button.
And your contact list has been created !
Change your Contact List Name
When you are on the Contacts page, you will see all your lists listed in the first column. Click on the pencil icon next to the name of your list. Make the changes then save it.
Duplicate a Contact List
On the Contacts page, hover over the Manage section, then click the middle icon to duplicate your list.
Your new duplicated list will appear right under the original one, with the prefix of (1).
Delete a Contact List
Hover over the ‘Manage’ section, and click on the trash can icon that appears. Then confirm the deletion of that contact list.
Please note: once a contact list is deleted, it cannot be recovered.
Export/Download a Contact List
The simplest way to export your contact list: Click on the contact list name from the Contacts page and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Click on the ‘Download’ button on the right side to export your list to a CSV or Tab Delimited file.
Mailjet provides a set of tools that will help you manage your contacts, especially the unsubscribed ones. In fact, people unsubscribing from your newsletter should be immediately removed from your contact list. Receiving a spam complaint from a recipient who received an unwanted email is not good. Managing your unsubscribes is one of the best practices described in our Deliverability Guide.
Simply put: you should focus on sending message to the people who really want them.
Add new contacts to a list
From the Contacts page, hover over the ‘Manage’ section then click on the pencil icon.
On the new page, paste in the new contact information or upload via a file (CSV, XLS, or TXT).
Click the ‘Save and continue’ button.
Remove/Unsubscribe contacts from a list
There are several ways to remove contacts from your lists. For each of the following examples, you can choose to completely remove the contact from the list, or simply unsubscribe them (keep them on the list but with no sending).
One contact from many listsFrom the Contacts Page, enter the email address in the search bar.
From the contact’s details page, select a list name and choose ‘Remove’ or ‘Unsubscribe’.
One or more contacts from one list (manually)Open the contact list and select the addresses you want to remove. Then click on the trash icon in the toolbar to delete them, or the envelop to unsubscribe.
Many contacts from one list (via a file upload)Similar to adding contacts via a file, you can also remove or unsubscribe contacts via a file import. Your file must be a CSV, XLS or TXT file, and only the email addresses are needed.
From the Contacts Page, click on the pencil icon (‘edit’) for the desired list name.
Then select the desired action (‘Remove Contacts’ or ‘Unsubscribe’), upload your file and click ‘Save and Continue’.
Correct/Edit an email address
You can’t edit an email address once it’s been uploaded to a contact list. Technically a mistyped email address is still an email address but perhaps one that does not exist and could result in a bounce. The best thing to do is remove it from the contact list.
View all your contacts
On the Contacts page, click 'All contacts' from the top menu to view all your contacts in one global list.
You can store details about your subscribers that was provided to you during the sign-up process during the sign-up process such as a name, age, or location. This subscriber information can be stored in Contact Properties.
A Contact Property consists of:
- Name (an internal label)
- Data Type (string, integer, decimal, boolean)
You can create as many contact properties as needed, and you can choose which contact lists use which properties.
To learn how to create, edit and delete contact properties, please read our FAQ.
An unsubscribe link must be added to each email sent, unless it is a transactional message (account validation, an order confirmation, etc). In fact, it’s the law in most countries. Also your subscribers may mark your emails as SPAM if they cannot find a working unsubscribe link.
To learn more about the marketing and transactional emails, please go to Different Types Of Emails.
When sending a marketing email (campaign), Mailjet will help you to integrate the unsubscribe link:
- With the Mailjet newsletter tools (Classic and Passport), the unsubscribe link will be added automatically. No work needed here by you :)
- If the HTML Import Feature is used, you just need to paste the unsub-tags provided and Mailjet will do the rest.
- For SMTP sending, the unsub-tags provided by Mailjet can also be used and will automatically be replaced by unsubscribe links. Please note: the List Email address must be used when sending with SMTP (please see below).
Of course, if you already have a working system that manages your contacts, you are are free to use your unsubscribe system. Just be aware that the newsletter tools (Classic, Passport) will always add an unsubscribe link.
How unsubscribes are handled:
- When using the newsletter tools (Classic, Passport) or the HTML Import Feature, when a recipient unsubscribes from your newsletter, they will be automatically unsubscribed from that one contact list only.
- With SMTP, for unsubscribes to be automatically handled by Mailjet, you can to send to the List Email Address (also known as ‘Magic List’ Feature). The List Email address can be found on the details page of any contact list. Simply use the List Email address in the ‘to’ field when you are sending your newsletter.
- If you are not using the online newsletters builders or the Magic List feature, you will need to manually check for any unsubscribes, or use the event API.
Managing Bounced and Blocked Emails
How Mailjet handles Bounced and Blocked Emails
Mailjet's intelligent system will automatically take into account the critical statuses from every previous sending. This means you don't have to update your lists manually as Mailjet will actually do the following:
- A "Bounced" email is one that cannot be delivered to the recipient and returns with an error. Once an email address has bounced, it is automatically blocked across all contact lists in your account.
- An email address labelled as "Spam" will also be blocked systematically by Mailjet.
Please note: it is recommended that you remove these email addresses from your contact lists on a regular basis to avoid deliverability issues.
Removing Bounced or Blocked Contacts from a List
Removing all bounced or blocked contacts (or any other status) from a contact list is quite simple:
Go to the results page for your campaign and sort your contacts by status.
Click the ‘Export to a list’ button. In the new section that appears, select the desired contact list and the ‘Remove contacts’ action. Click ‘Export’ and you are all done!
As always, if you have any questions please open a ticket with our Support Team!