In a transactional email (https://www.mailjet.com/docs/email_types), as well as a newsletter or promotional email, the hierarchy of information is essential. Whether your email is an alert, notification or confirmation, the information it contains is extremely valuable to your recipient.
Thus, it is critical to structure this information and highlight that which has the highest value. Similarly, your email should also offer all the tools related to this information: it should be possible for them to learn more, to cancel an action, or to change it.
Below, we attempt to analyze and comment on the structure of a transactional email example:
- 1. The sender: It is crucial that the sender is immediately identifiable.
- 2. Reply to: To offer the recipient the chance to ask a question in reponse to the email.
- 3. Email subject: This should contain the most important information regarding the transaction.
- 4. Header: This should reinforce the sender’s identity, but should not take up too much space so that there is room for the main email content.
- 5. Main information: This should be highlighted (font size, bold…) and placed in the upper part of the email.
- 6. Detailed information: This should be situated in a less prominent position as the main information, but should still be complete enough to reassure the recipient.
- 7. Tools related to the transaction: The most frequently used actions (modification, cancellation…) should be easily found directly in the email.
- 8. Marketing or promotional content: This content should be located below the information related to the transaction and should have its own link. Certain specialists recommend that marketing content should not exceed 20% of the transactional email.
- 9. Contact information: Especially if the email confirms a purchase, don’t forget to supply contact information so that the client can reach you.
- 10. Private information: As in all communication, the client should feel comfortable with your use of his/her information.
- [ Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:24:20 ]